Orange Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls
- For the Filling:
- 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup white sugar plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (1 envelope) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Zest of two oranges
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- For the Orange Sugar Topping:
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- For the Frosting:
- 1 (6 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
Adapted from sweetpeaskitchen.com
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. When oven reaches 200 degrees, shut off.
In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar; add yeast and let rest 10 minutes until foamy.
Add butter, eggs, flour, remaining sugar and salt to the yeast mixture and mix with the dough hook on medium-low until thoroughly combined, about 5 minutes
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in warm oven. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and orange zest. Line 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing excess to hang over pan edges. Butter the parchment.
To make the orange zest topping, In a small bowl rub together zest of one orange and sugar; set aside.
Roll dough into a 16×21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with ⅓ cup butter, leaving a 1/4″ margin at the long side of dough. Sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture and cranberries. Use the rolling pin to roll over the sugar/cinnamon mixture a few times. Roll up the dough tightly, under-tucking after each completed rollover. Cut into 12 rolls. Dip and twist the rolls into the orange sugar topping. Place rolls into prepared 9×13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together cream cheese, ½ cup butter, confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, salt and orange zest; set aside,
Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20-22 minutes. Once finished baking flip the pan over to allow all of the cinnamon drippings to recoat the rolls, let sit 1-2 minutes. Turn rolls back over and spread with half of the frosting, let sit 2-3 minutes and then spread with remaining frosting.
You'll also love
- Crumb Topped Pear Pie 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash and Portobello... 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- APPLESAUCE COOKIES 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Instant Pot Lemon Yogurt Cake 4.1/5 (32 Votes)
- Orange Crush Cake 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Paleo Strawberry Shortcake Recipe... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Smoked Ham, Brie & Cranberry... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Orange Ginger Mint Frosty 4.4/5 (5 Votes)