BBQ Shredded Chicken | Stupid Easy Paleo
- 1 whole, large chicken
- 2 Tablespoons ghee or your fat of choice
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco or hot sauce
Adapted from nomnompaleo.com
Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Place it in the slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
(Alternatives to making a crock pot chicken: poach 1½ to 2 pounds of chicken breasts or buy a pre-made rotisserie chicken from the market.)
In a large saucepan, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add the minced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
Now, add the rest of the ingredients: garlic, apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, tomato paste, honey, salt, black pepper, and Tabasco. Stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over low heat.
Simmer the sauce until the volume has reduced by a quarter to a third. It should be slightly thickened but not pasty.
When the chicken has cooled a bit - unless you have asbestos hands - shred all the meat and unite it with the tangy, savory sauce.
You'll also love
- Skillet Barbecue Chicken 3.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Baked Stuffed Chicken Breasts With... 2.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Skinny Greek Yogurt Chicken 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Fireball Whisky Glazed Chicken 4/5 (1 Votes)
- BBQ-Ranch Chicken Wings 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Chicken and... 4/5 (1 Votes)