Easy Pumpkin Cream Sauce
This is a great sauce that can be used over a variety of pastas. I recommend to use it on penne, cavatappi, or linguine. It works best when used on heartier pastas that can "capture" the sauce.
I garnish this dish with toasted walnuts. The flavor and texture beautifully compliments the creamy richness of the sauce and pasta
- 1 15-ounce 1 15-ounce 1 can pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling!) (Note: you can also roast 1 small sugar pumpkin, a sweeter pumpkin variety)
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 stick butter
- 2 2 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2-3 2-3 2-3 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1 1 cup (plus a little extra if needed) pasta water
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from google.com
Melt the butter in a nonstick pan.
Add the garlic, shallots, fresh sage leaves and cook them for about 8 minutes until everything is softened.
Add the pumpkin, cream, and 1 cup pasta water and blend with a stick blender until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. (You may need to add some additional pasta water until desired consistency is reached.)
Serve over pasta. Garnish with additional sautéed whole sage leaves.
Note: you can sauté sage leaves in olive oil or butter until firm but not blackened. Save the oil for flavoring other dishes! I add some of it to the pumpkin sauce as well