Perfect Bacon with a Special Ingredient
My least preferred method of preparing bacon is frying it, or using a microwave. I prefer to bake/roast slices of bacon in the oven. I've always used a wire cooling rack, over a foil-lined baking sheet. America's Test Kitchen shared a cool method, where you make your own baking rack, by folding heavy duty foil (like a fan). Set it across a foil-lined backing sheet, and you're all set! The bacon doesn't become soggy, as it doesn't sit in the fat it renders. I like to sprinkle the bacon with brown sugar, which gives an addictive sweet and salty flavor to the bacon. This is a family favorite.
- Thick-Cut bacon (recommended); we prefer a quality Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Heavy duty foil (regular foil is too flimsy)
- Brown sugar, optional
- Baking sheet
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Line the baking sheet with foil. Tear another sheet of heavy duty foil and fold it, lengthways to fit the width of the baking sheet. Fold the foil into 1 1/2-inch widths, like a fan. Unfurl the foil over the baking sheet, to create a "rack". Place the bacon strips over the rack; if desired sprinkle with brown sugar
Bake for about 10 minutes, then rotate the rack 1/4 turn and bake another 10 minutes.
NOTE: If you are using small, thinner cuts of bacon, the baking time might be reduced up to 50%.
Remove the bacon to a platter, lined with paper towels.
Once the bacon fat has cooled, carefully gather up the foil into a ball and discard.
NOTE: I prefer my bacon to be crispier than my family. Once I remove their bacon, I return my slices to the oven, but turn it to broil. Watch the bacon very closely, so it doesn't burn-- and if you've added brown sugar, the risk of burning is greater.
You'll also love
- Spiced Chicken and Shrimp Egg Rolls 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- 4-Layer Coconut Cake 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Strawberries, Bananas, and Sour... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Pork Sausage Patties 4.3/5 (26 Votes)
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Onions 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- BBQ Chicken Casserole 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Crustless Bacon & Cheese Quiche 4.6/5 (8 Votes)