Blueberry Almond Squares
- Prep: 20 min, Cook: 45 min
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) fresh blueberries
- 2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) almond extract
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) ground almonds
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sliced almonds
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground almonds
- 2 cups (500 mL)all-purpose flour
- Per serving (1 square): 176 calori
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 13 x
9-inch (3 L) metal cake pan with parchment
paper or grease; set aside.
In a heavy saucepan, crush the blueberries.
Stir in the sugar and lemon juice; bring to a
boil, stirring. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for
5–15 minutes or until thickened. Let cool; stir
almond extract into the blueberry filling.
Base: Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat
butter, icing sugar and salt until light. Stir in
the ground almonds, followed by the flour in
2 additions to make a moist, crumbly mixture.
Scoop 1 cup (250 mL) of the mixture into
a separate bowl and set aside. Spread the
remaining base mixture evenly in the prepared
pan; with a floured hand, press down firmly.
Bake in the centre of the oven for about 15
minutes or until light golden. Let cool on a
Spread the blueberry filling over the base. To
the reserved base mixture, add 1/3 cup (75
mL) ground almonds, mixing with a fork until
crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the blueberry
filling. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds; press
lightly. Bake for about 30 minutes or until light
golden on top and filling is firm to a gentle
touch. Let cool completely in the pan on a
rack. Cut into bars or squares.
Makes 32 pieces.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (209 Votes)
- Raspberry Beignets with Vanilla... 4.6/5 (187 Votes)