Broccoli Dal Curry
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried coconut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped (optional)
Heat butter in saucepan and saute onions until well browned.
Add chili powder, pepper, cumin, coriander and turmeric.
Stir and cook, 1 minute.
Add lentils, lemon juice, broth and coconut if using.
Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes (if mixture is too thick, you may need to add a little hot water).
Steam broccoli for 7 minutes.
Plunge broccoli in cold water and set aside.
Remove 1/3 cup of liquid from the lentil mixture.
Add to flour to form a smooth paste.
Return to pan; add broccoli, salt and nuts if using.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve over Basmati rice.