Ground Lamb & Hummus Pita Pizzas
Pita rounds broiled until crisp, then spread with hummus and topped with ground lamb, fresh cilantro, and toasted pine nuts, this dish is perfect for any on-the-go healthy eater who needs a protein-packed dish for lunch or dinner. Serve this recipe on its own, or with a lightly dressed side salad or steamed vegetables for an added dose of nutrients.
- 6 ounces ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped and seeded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 (6-inch) pitas
- 1/2 cup plain hummus
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 15mins
Preheat broiler to high.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble lamb. Remove lamb from pan. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon); sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup water and tomato; bring to a simmer. Cook 4 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften. Stir in cooked lamb. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
Split each pita into 2 rounds. Place pita rounds on a baking sheet. Broil 1 minute on each side or until crisp. Spread 2 tablespoons hummus on each round. Top each serving with about 1/3 cup lamb mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cilantro and nuts.
You'll also love
- Lemony Ricotta Summer Squash... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Mom's Eggplant Parm 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Flat Belly - Rotini w/Chicken and... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Asian Beef Salad 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Rum Fruitcake Cookies 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Egg - Cheese & Sausage Soufflé 4.2/5 (49 Votes)
- Cheese Fondue 4.4/5 (28 Votes)
- Baked Chicken with Fresh Tomatoes... 4.4/5 (28 Votes)