Banana Cream Pie with Vanilla Wafer Crumb Crust
This is a recipe I have played around with until I got it perfected, this is so good you won't believe it!
- Vanilla Crumb Crust:
- 1-1/2 cups fine ground vanilla wafers, (measure wafers before you grind).
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Banana Cream Pie:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, sliced
Vanilla Crumb Crust:
Grind Vanilla Wafer cookies, add sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter, blend together and press into 9" pie pan.
Put in refrigerater and cool while making pie filling.
Banana Cream Pie:
Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in 2-quart heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into the egg yolks. Stir this mixture back into hot mixture in heavy saucepan and return to medium heat, bring back to boil, and boil 1 minute; remove from heat, add vanilla and butter, press plastic wrap over hot mixture, until cooled to room temperature.
Take Crumb Crust out of refrigerator and slice bananas into crumb crust. Pour cooled pie filling over sliced bananas and top with Sweetened Whipped Cream, (to follow)
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat whipping cream, sugar and vanilla to soft/firm peaks
Pour onto pie filling, refrigerate until ready to serve.
You'll also love
- Banana Cream Pie 4.5/5 (65 Votes)
- Vanilla Wafer Fruitcake 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Vanilla Wafer Cake 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Carrot Cake with Baby Food 3.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Parsnip, Bacon and Apple Soup 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Lemon Sauce for Salmon Patties 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sugar-Free Banana Strawberry Sorbet 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Banana Cream Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)