Vanilla Wafer Fruitcake
- 1 pound vanilla wafers (cookies)
- 1/2 pound candied red cherries, cut in half
- 1/2 pound candied pineapple slices, cut in small wedges
- 1 pound walnuts, pecans or combination of both, broken in half or coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound golden or dark raisins*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Whole candied red cherries (garnish)
- Candied pineapple wedges (garnish)
- I mix and/or match using dates, dried apricots, dark raisins - whatever I have.
Adapted from whatscookingamerica.net
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2.In a large bowl, crush vanilla wafers. Add cherries, pineapple, nuts, and raisins; mix well.
3.In another bowl, beat eggs; add sugar, evaporated milk, and salt. Add to fruit mixture and mix well.
4.Cup Cakes: Spoon batter loosely into cupcake pans using paper or foil liners which you have sprayed lightly with oil spray. Bake in center of oven for approximately 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
5.Cake: Pack into a waxed paper-lined 10-inch tube pan. Decorate top with reserved candied whole cherries and pineapple. Bake approximately 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edge, turn cake out of pan, then back over again so decorations are on top.
Cake and/or cupcakes can be made ahead and frozen; taste improves with age.