Fried Green Tomatoes with Garlic-Basil Aioli
"This side dish is easy to prepare and SO yummy. It was a favorite of mine growing up, and still is today. Get frying foodies!"—David
Tip: Like a zesty dipping sauce? Kick up the recipe with cayenne, red pepper flakes, or even minced jalapeños.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup blended oil
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 egg yolks or 9 Tbsp pasteurized egg substitute
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 green tomatoes, ends removed and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
Adapted from qvc.co
To prepare the aioli, combine the olive oil and the blended oil in a measuring cup. Set aside. Place the garlic, egg yolks, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a blender. Pulse the ingredients until combined. Slowly pour the oil through the opening at the top of your blender. (The speed should be on low.) After the ingredients are well-blended and creamy, use a spatula to scoop the aioli into a small bowl. Fold in the fresh basil and oregano.
To prepare the tomatoes, combine the cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper, 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano into a medium-size bowl. Set aside. Combine the flour and the remaining salt and pepper into a second bowl. Set aside. Whisk the eggs together in a third bowl.
First, dip the tomatoes in the flour mixture; coat completely. Then coat the tomatoes in the egg. Finally, dredge the slices in the cornmeal mixture and coat completely.
Pour about 1/4" of oil into a large skillet set over medium heat. After the oil is ready, add in the tomatoes (in batches, if necessary). Fry the tomatoes until golden brown on one side for about 3-4 minutes. Flip the tomatoes and cook until brown on the other side. Remove the slices from the oil and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with the aioli.
You'll also love
- Pasta - Hemp Pesto Pasta 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Shrimp, Scallop & Crab Ceviche... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Tart 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Cajun Corn Pudding 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet Potato, Corn, and Kale... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- One Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta... 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Tomato, Stone Fruit & Fresh... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Creamy Garlic-Basil Chicken with... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)