Gus's Fried Chicken
You can now make the world famous Gus's Fried Chicken in the comfort of your own home. Crispy and golden brown, this will be the best fried chicken you've ever made.
- 1 3 1/2 pound chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut oil
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Wash a 3 1/2-pound chicken and cut it into 8 pieces. Place in a nonreactive pan and add 1quart buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.
Combine 3 cups flour, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a large plastic bag, and shake to mix. Heat 3/4-inch peanut oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Meanwhile, shake each piece of chicken in bag of seasoned flour until well coated. When oil is very hot but not smoking, add chicken, largest pieces first, skin side down. (Work in batches if your skillet is small.)
Reduce heat to medium, and cook, turning once, until chicken is golden brown and crispy, 12 to 15 minutes per side. Drain chicken on paper towels.
You'll also love
- 5-Spice Braised Brisket 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Nashville-Style Hot Chicken 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Asian Sesame Chicken Salad... 4.1/5 (60 Votes)
- Frontega Chicken Panini - Copycat... 3.8/5 (106 Votes)
- Red Velvet Chex Party Mix 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Buttermilk Biscuits and Country... 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- Takeout Asian-Style Fried Chicken... 4.1/5 (16 Votes)