Southern Green Beans and New Potatoes with Ham~
- Fabulous Southern Green Beans and New Potatoes with Ham~
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced or chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 or 4 ham hocks, ham end pieces or ham shanks
- 2 to 3 pounds of fresh green beans, cleaned and snapped
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 3 cans water (use a broth can to measure)
- 8 or more, new potatoes, pealed and washed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Place ham hocks or shanks in water enough to cover & let simmer a good 2 hours. Remove ham & set aside to cool. Reserve broth. When cool enough to handle, cut into chunks.
In a large heavy stock pot, melt butter on medium high. Add onions and garlic and ham. Cook until onions and garlic are tender and meat has browned a bit.
Turn down the heat to medium and add green beans, chicken broth and 3 cans full of the broth from the cooked ham hocks. Just cover the beans with the liquid. If you need a bit more water, add it. Cover and cook beans for about an hour. Add, sugar, salt and pepper and stir well. Add potatoes and cook covered for another 25 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove lid for the last 10 minutes of cook time. Check and re-season if necessary.
Crock pot method: place all in the pot & cook on low all day! Before serving remove the ham & cut into pieces & stir back into the beans & potatoes!