Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
- 3 very large russet potatoes (or enough to almost fill an 11.5x7.5" (or equivalent) baking dish), peeled and cut into 1/4" slices
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
Peel potatoes and cut in 1/4" slices, then cut larger slices in half. Rinse and set aside to drain in a colander.
In a large, heavy bottomed pot melt the margarine or butter over medium heat. Remove temporarily from the heat and whisk in the flour and seasonings. Return to heat and bring to a bubble; whisking constantly for 1-2 minutes. (Do not brown.)
Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup of the milk until smooth; return to heat and whisk in the remaining cup of milk and cook until thickened, whisking constantly.
Add potato slices to the pot of sauce; bring to a bubble, stirring until heated through.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray an 11.5x7.5" casserole dish and a sheet of aluminum foil to fit with cooking spray.
Transfer potatoes and sauce to the prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with the aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and check for doneness; if potatoes are tender, return to oven, uncovered, for about 5 minutes to lightly brown the top. (The sauce will thicken as it cools.)
If potatoes are not tender, re-cover with the foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes or until just tender, then uncover and bake for about 5 minutes to lightly brown the top.
To make Au Gratin Potatoes:
Stir in 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese to the sauce before adding the potato slices. Continue and bake as directed above until the potatoes are tender then sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese over the top and return to oven, uncovered, until melted.
You'll also love
- Coconut Cupcakes 4.7/5 (21 Votes)
- BBQ Pulled Pork Burger 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Grilled Avocado with Feta 4.7/5 (21 Votes)
- Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- French Potato Salad 4.5/5 (34 Votes)
- Coast-to-coast Lobster Bruschetta 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Hot Crab Dip 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Cheddar & Gruyere Scalloped... 4.4/5 (38 Votes)