Slow Cooker Old-World Corned Beef and Vegetables
Betty Crocker recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds medium new potatoes, (about 8), cut in half
- 2 cups baby-cut carrots
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions, thawed
- 1 corned beef brisket (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
1.Mix potatoes, carrots and onions in 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2.Thoroughly rinse corned beef; discard seasoning packet. Place beef on vegetables; sprinkle with pepper. Mix 1/2 cup water and the Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef.
3.Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
4.Remove beef and vegetables from slow cooker; cover to keep warm. Pour juices from slow cooker into 1-quart saucepan; heat to boiling. Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into juices. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Serve sauce with beef and vegetables.
Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.
Let there be veggies! Cut a small head of cabbage into 6 wedges, and place on top of the corned beef in the slow cooker for a more filling meal.
Did You Know…
Corned beef was originally “corned,” or preserved with granular salt, because there was no refrigeration. Today, the beef is cured in a brine and spices are added for a distinctive tangy flavor.
Plan to use leftover corned beef for soups, stews, pot pies or sandwiches. Cover and refrigerate corned beef, cut into cubes, up to 4 days or freeze up to 4 months. To thaw frozen corned beef, place container in refrigerator about 8 hours.
1 Serving (1 Serving)Calories 340 (Calories from Fat 160 ),Total Fat 18 g(Saturated Fat 6 g,Cholesterol 95 mg;Sodium 1120 mg;Total Carbohydrate 28 g(Dietary Fiber 3 g,Protein 20 g;Percent Daily Value*:Calcium ;Exchanges:1 Starch;2 Vegetable;1 1/2 Fat;*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
You'll also love
- Poached Salmon with Dill-Mustard... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Ham and Gruyere Stuffed Potatoes 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Belgian Buttermilk Waffles with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Spanish Pork recipe 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Homestyle Potato Soup... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crawfish and Andouille Cornbread... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Corn & Shrimp Chowder 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Easy Slow Cooker Beef Roast 4.5/5 (2 Votes)