Banana Layer Cake
Use with Banana Split Cake. Tastes like a banana Split!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- (Add approx. 1 tsp (5 ml) to 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk to cause the milk to curdle )
Grease and flour two 9×1 ½ – inch round baking pans; set aside.
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each.
Combine bananas and buttermilk/sour milk.
Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
Pour into prepared pans.
Bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
Cool on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on racks. Frost with desired frosting.