Low Calorie Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 18 jumbo pasta shells (about 6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus additional for seasoning
- 2 cups baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Olive oil cooking spray
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cook shells according to package directions; rinse under cold water, drain and pat dry.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Combine spinach, both cheeses, egg white and 1/4 teaspoon of each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spoon half the tomato sauce into prepared dish and mix.
Stuff each shell with 1 heaping tablespoon and arrange stuffed shells in baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over shells and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until pasta is cooked through and sauce begins to bubble, about 30 minutes. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.