Avgolemono, Orzo & Chicken Soup
This creamy soup is a delicious and healthy favorite of mine (without a drop of cream or dairy!). The lemon and dill flavors are great for summer. Alternatively, when I am feeling sickly, it peps me up- a zippy version of chicken soup, with lots of vitamin C from the lemon.
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (generous, 2-3 lemons)
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from find.myrecipes.com
Bring broth and dill to a boil in a large saucepan. Add orzo. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until orzo is slightly tender. Remove from heat.
Place eggs and juice in a blender; process until smooth. Remove 1 cup broth from pan with a ladle, making sure to leave out orzo. With blender on, slowly add broth; process until smooth.
Add carrot, salt, pepper, and chicken to pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook 5 minutes or until chicken and orzo are done. Reduce heat to low. Slowly stir in egg mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly (do not boil).