Bacon and Cheese-Stuffed Dates
Warm Christmas appetizer
- 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and finely crumbled, or 1/4 cup chopped prosciutto (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (2)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 24 Medjool dates (about 16 ounces unpitted)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl stir together bacon, green onions, and garlic. Add blue cheese, cream cheese, mustard, and pepper to bacon mixture. Stir to combine.
2. Using a sharp knife, make a lengthwise slit in each date. Spread each date open slightly. Remove pits. Fill each date with a rounded teaspoon of the bacon mixture. Place dates filling sides up on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered in the preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm. Makes 24 appetizers.
Make-ahead directions: Prepare as above, except do not bake the dates. Place stuffed dates in an airtight container, cover, and chill for up to 24 hours. Bake as directed just before serving.
Servings Per Recipe 24 appetizersCalories91, Total Fat (g)2, Saturated Fat (g)1, Monounsaturated Fat (g)1, Cholesterol (mg)6, Sodium (mg)66, Carbohydrate (g)18, Total Sugar (g)16, Fiber (g)2, Protein (g)2, Calcium (DV%)3, Iron (DV%)2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet