Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Chowder
Gluten free Bacon-Cheddar Cauliflower Chowder is thick, creamy, and low-carb alternative to Baked Potato Soup!
- 8 slices center cut bacon, chopped, half used for garnish
- 1/2 small onion, chopped or 1 tseaspoon onion powder
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups shredded or grated cauliflower (1/2 large head)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 dashes hot sauce, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided, half used for garnish
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Notes: Serves 8, 265 calories, 7 g. carbs, 15 g. protein per serving
Adapted from iowagirleats.com
Whisk together flour and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a small bowl then set aside.
Saute bacon in a large soup pot over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate then remove all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the pot. Add chopped onion, if using celery, and garlic to the pot then season with salt and pepper and saute until vegetables are tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add cauliflower and onion powder (if using) to the pot then stir to combine. Add water then place a lid on top and steam cauliflower until tender, stirring a couple times, about 5-7 minutes. Add remaining chicken broth and milk then turn up heat and bring to a boil.
Slowly whisk in flour/chicken broth mixture while stirring, then turn down heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until chowder has thickened. Turn off heat then stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese until smooth, then stir in half the cooked bacon. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce if necessary. Serve topped with remaining shredded cheese, cooked bacon, and green onions, if desired.
Use a food processor’s chopping and grating blades to make prepping veggies and cheese a breeze!
You'll also love
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa 4.5/5 (51 Votes)
- Baked Potato Casserole 4.5/5 (49 Votes)
- Sausage Cream Cheese Crescents 4.6/5 (43 Votes)
- Salsa Verde Turkey Burgers 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- Potatoes, Bacon & Onions in a Foil... 4.6/5 (44 Votes)
- Amish Broccoli Salad 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Cauliflower Casserole 4.6/5 (44 Votes)