Corn and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- 12 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- 2/3 cup red quinoa
- 3 large ears fresh corn, husked
- 6 1/2 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, plus 1 whole lime cut into 12 wedges
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
1. Combine 8 cups water, beans and garlic in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook the beans until tender. 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Add 1/2 tsp. salt and simmer another 10 minutes so the salt can flavor beans. Drain and discard garlic, let cool.
2. Preheat broiler to high.
3. Place peppers on baking sheet and broil 3 to 4 minutes from heats sources turning as they blister and char. Transfer to paper bag when whole pepper is charred and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel peppers, discard the stems, ribs, and seeds. Tear the peppers into fat strips and cut the strips in 1 inch lengths.
4. Bring 4 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Add quinoa and 1/4 tsp. salt, boil until tender but still crunchy, 10 to 14 minutes. Drain well and spread on plate.
5. Bring another pot of water to boil. Add corn and cook for 3 min. Let cool slightly, then slice the kernels off the cob.
6. Heat 1 1/2 TBS oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until limp and speckled with charred spots, 4 to 8 minutes and stir in cumin.
7. Combine the beans, the peppers, the corn, the onion and cheese in a large bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and toss. Add the remaining 5 TBS oil and lime juice and toss again. Gently stir in the quinoa.
8. Just before serving, stir in the tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with avocado and lime wedges
Per serving 1cup each: 256 cal., 14 fat, 28 carb., 8 prot., 7 fiber
You'll also love
- Outback Steakhouse Sauteed... 3.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Chicken... 4/5 (18 Votes)
- Sausage Corn and Brocoli Chowder 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Beef - Potato - Green Bean... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Mom’s Pinto Bean Recipe 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Southwest Chicken and Rice Bake 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Sous vide Corned Beef and Cabbage 4.5/5 (2 Votes)