Black Beans (Pressure Cooker)
Fagor recipe file
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight then drained
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 red pepper, chopped fine
- 1/2 serrano pepper, deseeded and chopped fine
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tbl minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 cup cilantro with stems, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons sherry or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 lime (juice)
- Salt and Pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. Soak dried black beans (overnight or 6 - 8 hrs) in a bowl that allows expansion and with enough water to cover by an inch or two.
2. Drain and rinse black beans; set aside.
3. Using pressure cooker, sautee onions, peppers and garlic until translucent. (use #3-4 on electric stove)
4. Add spices (except salt and cilantro), sugar, broth, sherry and beans.
5. Place lid; set on 2 and lock lid. Set heat to medium-high and bring to pressure; immediately reduce to medium-low and cook at pressure for 30 minutes.
6. Use natural release method; open lid and scoop out about 1/3 of the beans and grind in processor (to improve texture). Add ground beans back into remaining beans and stir.
7. Add salt and stir. Top with cilantro.
Note: If cutting recipe in half, add more liquid.....1.25 c chicken broth was not enough....try 1.5 c