Portuguese Sausage Sandwiches With Peppers, Onions, Olives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers sliced thin strips (1 orange, 1 red, 1 green)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 pound fully-cooked sausage (linguiça, kielbasa) halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 6"-long pieces
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2/3 cup Kalamata olives pitted
- 1 baguette halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into quarters
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add peppers and sauté until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle mixture with sugar and paprika and sauté 1 minute. Using slotted spoon, transfer mixture to plate; leave drippings in skillet.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to drippings in skillet. Add sausage and cook over medium heat until browned and heated through, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to plate with pepper mixture.
Add wine to skillet; boil until reduced by half, scraping up browned bits, about 3 minutes. Return sausage and pepper mixture to skillet; stir in olives. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Place baguette quarters on each of 4 plates; fill with sausage mixture, spooning juices over each, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 sandwiches.
Serve with: Frisée salad drizzled with a red wine vinaigrette.
You'll also love
- Pink Grapefruit, Strawberry, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Fried Eggs, Caramelized... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta Shells With Halibut And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Omelets With Potatoes, Bacon, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Halibut With Capers, Olives, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Watermelon, Green Onion, And Mint... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lentil Ravioli With Sausage And... 0/5 (0 Votes)