Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole
This yummy Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole can go straight into the oven, or to make it ahead, assemble it the night before, cover, and refrigerate until ready to bake in the morning.
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 7 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 3 ⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon each table salt and black pepper
- 8 frozen buttermilk biscuits, partially thawed, halved
- 1 1⁄2 cups Cheddar, shredded & divided
- 3 tabvlespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Adapted from cuisinerecipes.com
Preheat oven to 375° fahrenheit.
Coat a 7×11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
For the casserole, brown sausage in a sauté pan over medium heat, breaking into chunks; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Reserve drippings for sage gravy.
Whisk together eggs, 1¼ cups milk, cream, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper in a large measuring cup; set aside.
Layer biscuit bottoms in prepared dish. Sprinkle half the sausage over biscuits, top with half the Cheddar, and add biscuit tops. Pour egg mixture over top; bake 30 minutes.
Sprinkle remaining Cheddar over top and bake casserole until center is set, an instant-read thermometer registers 165° fahrenheit, and a toothpick inserted into a biscuit comes out clean, 10–15 minutes more. Let casserole sit 10 minutes.
For the gravy, melt butter in reserved sausage drippings in a sauté pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth; cook 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in 2 cups milk until mixture is smooth.
Cook gravy until slightly thickened, 5–8 minutes. Stir in sage and pepper flakes. Season gravy with salt and black pepper.
You'll also love
- Buffalo Ranch Alfredo Pasta 4.5/5 (698 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.2/5 (716 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.3/5 (631 Votes)
- Lipton Souperior Meatloaf 3.8/5 (1230 Votes)
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole 4.3/5 (269 Votes)
Review this recipe