Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy
This delicious take on the Southern classic is perfect when you need some hearty fried comfort food smothered in rich gravy.
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh basil or oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups milk
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Cut steak into 4 serving-size pieces. Trim fat. Place meat pieces between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound meat with a meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness.
In a dish or on a piece of waxed paper combine bread crumbs, basil or oregano, salt, and pepper. In another shallow dish stir together egg and the 1 tablespoon milk. Dip meat pieces in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
In a 12-inch skillet brown meat pieces in hot oil over medium heat about 3 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 45 to 60 minutes more or until tender. Transfer meat pieces to a platter. Cover to keep warm.
For gravy, cook onion in pan drippings until tender but not brown. (Add more oil, if necessary.) Stir in flour. Add the 1 1/3 cups milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve gravy with meat.
You'll also love
- Chicken Cutlet Parma Sue's 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Swiss Chard Stems, Grilled with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Captain Morgan Rum & Pumpkin... 3/5 (2 Votes)
- Spicy Beef & Broccoli 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Simple Crockpot Beef Stew 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Long John Silvers Batter mix 4.3/5 (46 Votes)
- Battered Fried Crab Sticks 4.2/5 (82 Votes)