Beets With Garlic-Walnut Sauce
- 8 medium beets trimmed, and greens reserved
- 7 tablespoons water - (to 8)
- 1 large russet potato peeled, and cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted, cooled
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (made from crustless French bread)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
Cook beets in large pot of boiling salted water until tender when pierced with skewer, about 30 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly. Peel and cut beets into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices; set aside.
Combine beet greens and 3 tablespoons water in large skillet. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until greens are wilted, about 1 minute; set aside.
Cook potato in small saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. Return to saucepan and mash.
Blend walnuts, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, garlic, and 2 tablespoons water in processor until smooth. Transfer to bowl. Mix in 1/2 cup mashed potato, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. If thick, thin sauce with 2 to 3 tablespoons water.
Spoon sauce onto center of platter; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Surround with beet greens and beet slices; drizzle with vinegar. Sprinkle with capers.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.