New England Seafood Chowder
- 8 bacon slices chopped
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 bottles clam juice - (8 oz ea)
- 4 cups peeled white potatoes in 1/2" dice (abt 3 lbs)
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash in 1/2" dice (abt 3 lbs)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme (or 2 tspns dried thyme, crumbled)
- 3 pounds mixed fresh fish cut 3/4" pieces (a choice of cod, halibut, haddock and/or scrod)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
To render fat, cook chopped bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add chopped onions and saute until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add curry powder and stir 30 seconds. Mix in bottled clam juice, diced potatoes, diced butternut squash and bay leaves. Simmer 5 minutes.
Add chopped kale leaves and simmer until vegetables are almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add 5 cups milk, 1 cup half-and-half and minced thyme. (Chowder can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate.)
Bring chowder to simmer. Add fish and simmer until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves. Ladle chowder into bowls and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.