Shrimp With Chunky Tomato-Saffron Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large shallots chopped
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp peeled, deveined, with tails left intact
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 pinches saffron threads - (generous)
- 1 can diced peeled tomatoes in juice (14 1/2 oz)
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until just pink, about 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to bowl using slotted spoon.
Add tomato paste to same skillet and stir 1 minute. Add wine, crushed red pepper and saffron and boil 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic and orange peel and cook until reduced to sauce consistency, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add cream and simmer sauce 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook fettuccine in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Season with salt and pepper.
Add shrimp and oregano to sauce; stir to heat through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve over fettuccine.
This recipe yields 4 first-course or 2 main-course servings.