Chicken Taco Casserole
It's sort of like a Mexican lasagna, with corn tortillas instead of noodles. Try this recipe tonight and get a delicious dinner on the table in an hour!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces chicken breast strips for stir-frying
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup red or green Bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cups purchased salsa
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, coarsely torn
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, about 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered or chopped (optional)
- 1/2 of an avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped (optional)
- Corn chips, baked tortilla chips, or broken taco shells (optional)
Adapted from bhg.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl toss together chicken, garlic, and chili powder. Add to hot skillet. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
Add canola oil to skillet. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach.
Coat a 2-quart square baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup of the salsa in the baking dish. Top with half of the tortilla pieces, half of the chicken mixture, and half of the vegetable mixture. Pour half of the remaining salsa over the vegetables and top with half of the cheese. Repeat layers once, except do not top with the remaining cheese.
Bake, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with cherry tomatoes, chopped avocado, and/or corn chips.
You'll also love
- Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole 4.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce 4.3/5 (33 Votes)
- Chicken Bacon Mushroom Quiche 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken and Stuffing Bake 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Tortilla... 3.9/5 (82 Votes)
- Broccoli Chicken Divan 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos 4.6/5 (15 Votes)