Russian Green Bean and Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 cups vegetable, chicken, or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut with juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat vegetable oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Stir in the onion and gently cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and green beans; cook the green beans until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
Pour in the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the potatoes have softened, about 15 minutes. Stir the flour into the sour cream, and add it a spoonful at a time to the simmering soup. Stir in the sauerkraut and dill, season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes more before serving.