Green Bean Supreme
Easily Doubled. You can make ahead and keep in fridge until time to heat.
- For topping:
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cans (1 lb. each) cut green beans (drained)
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 / cup stuffing bread crumbs, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Melt butter. Cook onion in butter slightly, about 1 minute.
2. Blend dry ingredients into butter-onion mixture.
3. Stir in milk. Cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in sour cream and green beans.
5. In 1-quart casserole, alternate layers of the bean mixture with Swiss cheese. Divide bean mixture into thirds. Put 1/3 of bean mixture in casserole. Top with 1/2 of cheese. Then layer again with 1/3 of bean mixture and 1/2 of cheese. Top with remaining bean mixture.
6. Make topping: Combine melted butter with bread crumbs; sprinkle on casserole.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.