Roasted chicken with potatoes, arugula and garlic yogurt
Your typical sheet-pan chicken recipe roasts everything together on a pan at once. This version pairs potatoes with the poultry, and tops everything off with fresh herbs and arugula, making it a true one-pan meal, salad included. A savory yogurt sauce adds a creamy touch, but it’s optional if you’re not a yogurt sauce fan. Feel free to double the recipe if you’re feeding a crowd, though make sure to use two sheet pans so that everything is spread out in one layer, which is critical for browning.
- 4 chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1 1/4 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more as needed
- 2 tablespoons harissa (or use another thick hot sauce, such as sriracha)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1/2 lemon)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (do not use Greek yogurt)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- Chopped fresh dill, as needed
- Lemon juice, as needed
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from cooking.nytimes.com
Combine chicken and potatoes in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together harissa, cumin and 3 tablespoons oil. Pour over chicken and potatoes and toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine leeks, lemon zest, a pinch of salt and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil.
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange chicken and potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Roast 15 minutes. Toss potatoes lightly. Scatter leeks over pan. Roast until chicken and potatoes are cooked through and everything is golden and slightly crisped, 25 to 30 minutes longer.
While chicken cooks, place yogurt in a small bowl. Grate garlic over yogurt and season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon yogurt over chicken and vegetables in the pan. Scatter arugula and dill over mixture. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice and serve.
You'll also love
- Pork Belly Carnitas 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Skillet Pork Tenderloin with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Peach Salad & Mint Pesto 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic Bean Dip 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Soy-Honey Chicken With Lemon... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Braised Coconut Spinach &... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- CHARLIE'S CRAB SIZZLER SPINACH 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- SPINACH-STUFFED PURPLE POTATOES 4.5/5 (2 Votes)