Salted Caramel Pineapple Upside Down CAKE
- 1 c dark brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temp
- 3 Tbs dark rum
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 1 medium pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into rings; 1 ring cut into chunks
Coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat brown sugar and 1 stick butter, whisking occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook until caramel thickens and turns a deep brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in rum and 1 teaspoon salt. Pour caramel into prepared cake pan and swirl around to coat. Set aside and let cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, remaining salt, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, beat together granulated sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in half the dry-ingredient mixture and 1/4 cup milk. Repeat with remaining dry-ingredient mixture and milk.
Arrange pineapple rings atop caramel in cake pan. Fill in spaces between rings with pineapple chunks. Carefully pour batter over pineapple and smooth, using a rubber spatula.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake; invert onto a large serving plate.
Tips & Techniques
Tip: Reduce the batter's butter to 1/3 cup and the granulated sugar to 3/4 cup, then add 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce. You'll save 4 grams of fat and 54 calories per serving.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Artichokes 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Baked Rainbow Trout Dinner * 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Richard Blais Pastrami Spiced... 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Baked Orange French Toast with... 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- BANANA-CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Reboot - Meal - Cherry Cinnamon... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cuban Chicken and Pineapple Salad 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pineapple sauce/glaze for hamloaf... 5/5 (2 Votes)