Rhubarb And Pear Compote
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 Bartlett pears peeled, and cut
- lengthwise into eights, cored and cut crosswise into 1" pieces
- 10 ounces rhubarb trimmed, and cut into 1" pieces
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
Bring first 3 ingredients to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Mix in rhubarb. Cover and simmer until rhubarb and pears are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Spoon warm compote into bowls. Top with ice cream and serve.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled or tripled.