Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
This pecan pie recipe differs from normal pie recipes - the filling set perfectly and was absolutely delicious. It is the perfect balance of sweet, and just the right ratio of pecan.
- PATEE BRISEE (ALL-BUTTER) PIE CRUST:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2-sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- PIE FILLING:
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups toasted and chopped pecans
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell (see note), chilled in pie plate for 30 minutes
- NOTE: Regular or mild molasses tastes best in this pie.
Preparation time 75mins
Cooking time 180mins
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds.
With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through feed tube. Pulse until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; be careful not to process more than 30 seconds. To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disc and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least 1 hour. Dough may be stored, frozen, up to 1 month.
Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450°F.
Heat sugar, syrup, cream, and molasses in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
Whisk butter and salt into syrup mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.
Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over.
Place pie in hot oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
Bake until filling is set and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45 to 60 minutes.
Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to 1 day.
Bring to room temperature before serving.
You'll also love
- Banana Pudding Bites 4/5 (14 Votes)
- Loaded Broccoli Potato Cheddar Soup 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Crustless Pepper Quiche 3.9/5 (23 Votes)
- Beer & Cheddar Fondue 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Pasteles de masa (Green Banana... 4.1/5 (18 Votes)
- Red Velvet Cupcakes in a Jar 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Pretzel-Shortbread Bars 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Winter-White Fruit Cake 4.3/5 (6 Votes)