Sweet Noodle Kugel, Lokshen Kugel
This creamy egg noodle casserole gets a Midwestern twist by adding a topping of crunchy cornflakes. This dish makes a delicious meal any day of the week and leftovers can keep in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. This casserole is scrumptious any time of the year, but especially during the cold winter months. Serve with a side salad or on its own for a on-pot weeknight dish.
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 ⁄2 pound wide egg noodles, about 3/4 of 1 (8-ounce) package
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 ⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornflakes cereal, lightly crushed
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from saveur.com
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain noodles; set aside.
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter; set aside.
Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Set beaten egg whites aside. Using a hand mixer, beat 8 tablespoons butter, plus sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add yolks, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Add cottage cheese and sour cream; mix until combined.
Add noodles and toss to coat. Gently fold in egg whites. Transfer mixture to prepared dish and spread into an even layer.
Sprinkle with crushed cornflakes, and dot with remaining butter; bake until golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
You'll also love
- Gluten Free Sesame Chicken with... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Pan Braised Chicken Thighs in... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Almond-Crusted Zucchini Sticks... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Antipasto Salad 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Hash 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Paleo Spinach & Artichoke Dip 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Penne with Butternut Squash and... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Guinness-Glazed Halibut 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
Review this recipe