Lemon-Olive Oil Cupcakes with Coconut Whipped Cream
4 hr 40 min
- Coconut Whipped Cream:
- One 13.5-ounce can of coconut milk (not light), such as Thai Kitchen brand or Whole Foods 365 brand, chilled in the refrigerator overnight (be sure not to shake or stir)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray, for spraying the cupcake liners
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 lemons) plus 1/4 cup lemon juice, plus additional zest, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
For the coconut whipped cream: Chill the bowl and whisk of a stand mixer in the freezer for about 10 minutes. If they are not very cold, the cream will not whip properly. Skim the solidified coconut cream from the chilled can of coconut milk and transfer the solids to the bowl of the stand mixer. Do not include any of the coconut water, even if you have to leave behind a little margin of coconut cream (even a little bit of coconut water can harm your results).
Add the powdered sugar and whip for a few minutes until the mixture begins to stiffen and turn into whipped cream. Chill the whipped cream in a covered container in the refrigerator. It should firm up even more as it sits in the refrigerator for the next few hours or overnight.
For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with 14 cupcake liners and spray the liners with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, lemon zest and juice, lemon extract and 3/4 cup water. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not overmix.
Fill the cupcake liners evenly with the batter. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cupcakes comes out dry, with a few crumbs clinging to it. Rotate halfway through the baking time. Cool the cupcakes completely before unmolding.
To serve: Top each cupcake with some coconut whipped cream. Garnish each cupcake with fresh berries, mint leaves and/or lemon zest.
You'll also love
- Cucumber, Tomato and Watermelon... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Peach and Blueberry Crisp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- TURKEY MEATBALLS W/ LEMONY RICE 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut-Pecan German Chocolate Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mozzarella, Salami and Olive Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Southern Style Coconut Cake |... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potato & Olive Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)