MIXED BERRY SCONES
- 1 3/4 c frozen mixed berries
- 3 TBS confectioner's sugar
- 3 cups AP flour
- 12 TBS unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c + 2TBS whole milk
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 2 TBS butter, melted
- 1 TBS honey
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
1. Oven 425 degrees. Oven rack to upper middle position. Silpat on baking sheet.
2. Toss berries with confectioner's sugar and freeze until needed
3. Combine flour, 6 TBS butter, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in food processor and process until butter is fully incorporated about 15 seconds. Add remaining 6 TBS butter and pulse until butter is reduced to pea-size pieces, 10-12 pulses. Transfer mixture to large bowl and stir in berries.
4. Beat milk, egg, and egg yolk together in separate bowl. Make well in center of flour mixture and pour in milk mixture. Using rubber spatula gently stir mixture, scraping from edges of bowl and folding inward until very shaggy dough forms and some bits of of flour remain. Do not overmix.
5. Tour out dough onto well-floured counter and if necessary knead briefly until dough just comes together, about 3 turns. Shape dough into 12" by 4" rectangle about 1 1/2" tall. Using knife cut dough crosswise into 4 equal rectangles. Cut each rectangle into 2 triangles for 8 scones total. Transfer scones to baking sheet and bake until scones are lightly golden on top 16-18", rotating pan halfway through baking.
Glaze: Combine melted butter and honey in small bowl. Remove scones from oven and brush with glaze mixture. Return scones to oven and continue to bake until golden brown about 5-8" longer.