Mini Orange Angel Food Cakes
These cakes make beautiful presentation desserts. We like them served with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend or Queen Guinevere Cake Flour
- 3/4 cup Baker's Special sugar or superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup glazing sugar or confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup orange juice fruit powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- Substitute 3 tablespoons orange juice for the juice powder and milk, if desired; this will make the recipe dairy-free.
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 47mins
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Combine the flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the orange zest. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, salt, and extract. Beat until the mixture is frothy.
Sprinkle the cream of tartar on top and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
Slowly pour in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar while beating, then gradually fold in the dry ingredients.
Transfer the batter to the ungreased cups of a mini angel food cake pan; a piping bag works well here.
Bake the cakes for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and spring back when lightly touched.
Remove the pan from the oven, and place it upside down on a cooling rack. Let the cakes cool for 1 hour in the pan.
Loosen the edges of the cakes, and remove them from the pan.
Stir the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth and pourable. Pour the glaze over the tops of the cakes.
To make one standard-sized (10"-diameter) angel food cake, double the quantity of the ingredients for the cake, and bake the cake for 34 to 36 minutes. Prepare the same quantity of glaze. Allow the cake to cool for at least 90 minutes before unmolding and glazing.
You'll also love
- Ginger- Sweet Potato Cheesecake 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Hummus Pizza With Caramelized... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Spiced Orange and Vanilla Pudding 4.3/5 (25 Votes)
- Date Ball Cookies 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Blueberry Bundt Cake with Lemon... 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- CAKE - Marvelous Mocha Pound Cake 4.1/5 (44 Votes)
- Cranberry Orange Bread 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake &... 4.2/5 (40 Votes)