Penne with Butternut Squash and Brown Butter Sauce
Covering the squash speeds up its cooking while still allowing for browning.
- 4 4
- 1 1 1 pound penne, fusilli, or other short, tubular pasta
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1 1/2-inch pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 2 2 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, torn
- 3 3 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 4 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and chopped coarse
- 1 1 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 2 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
Adapted from cookscountry.com
1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water and cook, stirring often, until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain pasta and return it to pot.
2. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add squash, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook until squash is softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Add sage and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds; add squash mixture to pasta.
3. Add butter and hazelnuts to now-empty skillet and cook over medium-high heat until both are browned and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in lemon juice and 1/4 cup reserved cooking water (butter will foam and sizzle). Stir hazelnut mixture and 1/2 cup Parmesan into pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust consistency with remaining reserved cooking water as needed. Serve, sprinkled with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan.
You'll also love
- Ginger-Scented Corn and Asparagus... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Marjorie's Apple Cake 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Dry Rubbed Flank Steak with... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Focaccia with fresh tomato,... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Pasta Salad (Elizabeth) 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Spinach-Orzo Salad with Shrimp 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Nonny’s Macaroni & Cheese 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Baked Penne with Sausage,... 4.1/5 (49 Votes)