Pan Braised Chicken Thighs in Tomato Broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1 onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can peeled whole tomatoes (28 ounces, crushed with hands)
- 1 can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed, 15 ounces)
- 3 cups escarole (cleaned, cored and thinly sliced)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Add olive oil to a large Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
2 Add chicken to the Dutch oven, skin side down, and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 5-6 minutes. Flip and brown on the other side, another 1-2 minutes and remove to a plate.
3 Drain half of the fat from the pan and place back over the heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes, breaking the sausage up with a potato masher or the back of the wooden spoon. Add the onion, garlic and oregano, and season with Kosher salt and cook until the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and the browned chicken back into the pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. In the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, add the beans and escarole. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Replace the wine with chicken stock for a kid-friendly dish.
- Instead of escarole, try spinach or kale!