Pioneer Woman's Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe
Stop being intimidated by making your own fried chicken with this recipe. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans.
- 2 cut-up fryer chickens
- 1 quart plus 1/4 cup buttermilk, divided
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
In a large bowl (or 2 freezer bags) add the chicken with only 1 quart of the buttermilk. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to fry, remove chicken from bowl and let sit on counter for 30 minutes to take chill off.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together the flour, seasoned salt, pepper, thyme, paprika and cayenne in a very large bowl. In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk and the milk. Pour the milk mixture into the flour and use a fork to mix until little lumps throughout.
Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in a deep skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat to 365°F.
Working in batches, thoroughly coat each buttermilk-soaked chicken piece with the breading, pressing to adhere the breading. Add the chicken to the oil 3 to 4 pieces at a time. Cover pan and fry 5 to 7 minutes, checking to make sure chicken isn't getting too brown. Turn, cover and cook additional 3 to 5 minutes more. Monitor temperature of oil to make sure chicken doesn't burn. Keep in mind chicken will finish cooking in oven.
Place chicken on baking sheet and continue frying rest of chicken. When done, bake the chicken for 20 minutes, until chicken cooked through.
You'll also love
- Best-Ever Chicken Salad 4/5 (25 Votes)
- Tuna Noodle Casserole 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Thai Chicken Thighs 4.3/5 (25 Votes)
- Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken 3.9/5 (83 Votes)
- Crispy Fried Tamarind Chicken 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Chicken Parmigiana, inspired by... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Farmhouse Chicken... 4.2/5 (20 Votes)
- Buttermilk Waffles for Two 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
Review this recipe