Shellfish-Tomato Stew on Soft-Cooked Polenta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 pound cleaned small squid—bodies cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings, tentacles left whole
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Stir in the wine and cook over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. In a saucepan, bring the water, stock and milk to a boil. Gradually whisk in the polenta. Cook over moderate heat, whisking, until the polenta is slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the butter and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
3. Bring the tomato sauce back to a simmer. Add the shrimp and squid and simmer over moderately high heat until barely cooked, about 2 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and cook until they open, 4 minutes. Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Whisk the polenta and ladle it into bowls. Spoon the stew over the polenta and serve.
You'll also love
- Pasta Alla Vodka 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sautéed Cod with Rich Ketchup... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- linguine with asparagus and pine... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- green bean and pasta salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tuna Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crab crostini 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fried Tomatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Orecchiette with Roasted Peppers,... 0/5 (0 Votes)