Minestrone With Cabbage And Spinach
- 2 cups finely-chopped celery
- 1 cup finely-chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely-chopped leek, white and pale green
- parts only
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 9 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 4 cups diced green cabbage - (abt 10 oz)
- 2 cups diced zucchini - (from abt 2 med)
- 6 ounces acini di pepe - (abt 3/4 cup) (or other small pasta)
- 3 cups coarsely-chopped fresh spinach - (packed)
- 1/3 cup thinly-sliced fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
Combine celery, onion, leek and wine in heavy large pot over medium heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender but not brown, stirring frequently, about 12 minutes.
Add broth and bring to boil. Add cabbage and zucchini and simmer 10 minutes. Add pasta; cover and simmer until pasta is just tender, about 10 minutes.
Add spinach and cook 5 minutes. Stir in sliced basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls and serve, passing grated Parmesan cheese separately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.