Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage, and Rice Soup
The spiciness clears out the sinuses and the lime juice perks everything up. It's vegan-friendly too — just use vegetable broth. Use the best stuff you can — whether it's turkey, chicken, or veggie. This soup needs the deep flavor of a good stock.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 ounces cremini or shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1 to 3 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- One 3-inch lump ginger, grated (or 1 tablespoon ginger puree)
- 1 to 3 limes, zested and juiced
- 8 cups broth — turkey, chicken, or vegetable
- 1/2 cup jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, plus more to serve
- 1/2 small head green cabbage, cut in half and shaved thin
- Chili garlic sauce or kimchi, to serve
Adapted from thekitchn.com
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes without stirring. Toss the mushrooms after 5 minutes and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until well-browned. Add the diced peppers, garlic, and ginger and cook for about five minutes or until fragrant and slightly softened.
Add the lime zest and broth and bring to a simmer. Add the rice, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is just barely soft. Add the shaved cabbage, lime juice, and soy sauce to taste and simmer for another few minutes or until cabbage is hot.
Serve with extra soy sauce, lime wedges, and kimchi or chili garlic sauce.
You'll also love
- Texas Roadhouse Steak Seasoning 3.9/5 (367 Votes)
- Fruit Pizza 4.3/5 (199 Votes)
- One-Bowl Apple Cake 4/5 (288 Votes)
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Bacon,... 4.4/5 (167 Votes)
- ZZ Pumpkin Beignets (Disney's Club... 4.5/5 (153 Votes)
- Zero Point Weight Watchers Cabbage... 4.4/5 (164 Votes)
- Beef Stroganoff without Mushrooms 4/5 (209 Votes)
- Country Cabbage Soup 4.5/5 (111 Votes)