Goat Cheese Souffles And Mixed Greens, Raspberry Vinaigrette
- 2 fresh goat cheese logs, such as
- Montrachet - (4 oz ea)
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese (abt 1 1/2 oz)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tspn dried thyme)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tspn dried rosemary)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mixed Greens With Raspberry Vinaigrette (see recipe)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter six 3/4-cup soufflé dishes or custard cups.
Cut one 4-ounce goat cheese log into 6 equal rounds. Place 1 round in each prepared dish. Crumble remaining 4-ounce cheese log into large bowl.
Bring milk to simmer in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Continue cooking until mixture is smooth and resembles thick paste, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes.
Pour mixture over crumbled goat cheese in large bowl. Whisk in Parmesan, yolks, herbs and pepper. Cool soufflé base to lukewarm.
Using electric mixer, beat egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon salt in another large bowl until stiff but not dry. Gently fold 1/4 of egg whites into lukewarm soufflé base to lighten. Fold in remaining egg whites.
Divide soufflé mixture among prepared dishes. Transfer dishes to baking sheet and bake until soufflés are puffed and golden brown on top, about 22 minutes.
Place soufflé dishes on serving plates. Mound Mixed Greens With Raspberry Vinaigrette alongside and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.