Sweet Potato-Apple Gratin
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter plus
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs - (packed)
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, preferably a red variety peeled, and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 tart apples peeled, and cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice reduced by
- boiling down to 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter shallow medium-sized baking dish.
To prepare bread crumbs: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium heat. Stir in bread crumbs and toast until golden, stirring occasionally. Scrape bread crumbs from skillet, and set aside.
Steam sweet potatoes and apples over simmering water until tender, about 25 minutes. Mash or rice sweet potatoes and apples together in mixing bowl. Stir in remaining butter, cider, sage, nutmeg, salt, cayenne and bourbon, if using. Mixture should be somewhat thick but spoonable. Scoop sweet potato-apple mixture into prepared dish, smooth surface and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Bake about 25 minutes, until heated through and golden brown and crunchy on top. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per Serving: 300 Cal; 3g Prot; 10g Total Fat (6 Sat. Fat); 50g Carb.; 25mg Chol; 260mg Sod.; 6g Fiber.
Wine Suggestions: If you had to pick one white wine to pair with your Thanksgiving meal, consider Riesling. With this dish's fruity sweetness, offer Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese.