BUTTERMILK- BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST CAKE
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. lemon zest or more - zest from large lemon
- 7/8 cup* + 1 tbsp. sugar**
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk***
- 7/8 cup equals 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp.
- This 1 tbsp. is for sprinkling on top
- To make homemade buttermilk, place 1 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill cup with milk until it reaches the 1 cup line. Let stand for five minutes. Use only 1/2 cup of the prepared mixture for the recipe.
Preheat oven to 350 deg. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with 1/4 of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries. Grease a 9 inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.