Buttermilk Banana-Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Some banana cakes and breads are dense and rich with their namesake fruit, but this one achieves a nice, fluffy crumb without losing the pleasing banana flavor. Bursts of tart-sweet blueberries and a brown sugar topping bring it home.
- 2 3/4 cups unsifted pastry flour, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus 4 tablespoons chilled butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 2 1/2 bananas)
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 x 7-inch square baking pan with oil
In a medium bowl, stir together 2 1/2 cups of the pastry flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, 2 tablespoons melted butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the mashed bananas. Gradually add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the blueberries.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour and the brown sugar. Cut 4 tablespoons of butter into the mixture. Scoop the batter into the baking pan and top with the brown sugar mixture.
Bake until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake 4.4/5 (48 Votes)
- Sous Vide Pork Chile Verde 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Peach Crème Brûlée Tart 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Saucy Apple Cake 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Lavender and Blueberry Smoothie 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Blueberry Cheesecake Protein Shake 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Vitamix - Banana Cream Pie... 4/5 (1 Votes)