Crispy Summer Squash Pancakes
Delicate, lightly spicy latkes prepared with grated summer squash instead of potatoes. Serve hot with lemon wedges and sour cream.
- 2 medium yellow squash, grated on the medium holes of a box grater,squeezed dry
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- Lemon wedges and sour cream, for serving
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a medium bowl, combine the squash with the scallions, jalapeño, egg, flour and baking powder and season with salt and pepper. Mix gently just to combine.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Spoon 3 heaping 1/3-cup mounds of the batter into the skillet and press lightly to flatten them. Cook over moderate heat until golden, about 3 minutes.
Flip the pancakes, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and cook until golden and crisp, 2 minutes longer. Drain on paper towels.
Repeat with the remaining oil and batter. Serve the pancakes hot with lemon wedges and sour cream.
You'll also love
- Tuna Crespelle 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Sumac Carrot Salad with Almonds &... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Pork & Pineapple Coconut Curry 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Corn Fritters with Jalapeño Jelly 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Bacon Tomato Zucchini Frittata 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Wild Rice & Cranberry Stuffing 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pecan Scones with Maple... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Shrimp Pai Thai with Zucchini... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)