Grilled Summer Squash Stacks with Herbed Ricotta
Creamy herbed ricotta is layered between slices of grilled zucchini and squash in this summery side. A fresh tomato salsa add extra freshness and flavors.
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons green onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons basil, minced
- 1/4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- SQUASH STACKS:
- 1 large yellow summer squash
- 1 large uncooked zucchini
- 4 sprays cooking spray
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from weightwatchers.com
Make the ricotta filling: In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, green onion, basil, lemon zest, garlic, black pepper and red pepper flakes; refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the salsa, in a small bowl, combine tomatoes, green onion, basil, vinegar and salt; set aside at room temperature.
Slice squash and zucchini crosswise into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices each; place in a third bowl, coat with cooking spray and toss with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
Off heat, coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray; heat to medium-high heat. Grill squash and zucchini, until softened and grill marks appear, about 8 to 10 minutes; let cool to room temperature.
To assemble stacks, spread 4 squash slices with 1 1/2 teaspoons ricotta mixture each; top each with a zucchini slice and spread with 1 1/2 teaspoons more ricotta mixture. Repeat with remaining ingredients to form 2 layers; garnish each stack with 2 tablespoons salsa and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Lemon-Thyme Shortbread Cookies 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Baked Crispy Chickpea Seitan... 4.1/5 (18 Votes)
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- FRIED CABBAGE WITH SAUSAGE 4.3/5 (43 Votes)
- Jello Shots - 104 ways 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Strawberry Cream Dessert Squares 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Ultra-Crispy Roast Potatoes 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Easy Vegetable Stuffing 4.8/5 (6 Votes)